Wazir Khan Mosque (built 1634)
Wazir Khan mosque was built in 1634 by Shaikh Ilm-ud-din Ansari, Viceroy of Punjab under Shah Jahan. Ansari hailed from humble origins in the town of Chiniot in the Jhang district of the Punjab. He studied medicine under Hakim Dawi and was hired by the Mughal court as the personal physician of Prince Kuram, the future Shah Jehan. The young prince was so taken with Ansari's competence that he awarded him with the title Wazir Khan in 1620. Wazir is a title meaning "Minister" in Urdu.
Wazir Khan acquired a large tract of land in Lahore bounded by the Delhi Gate to the east and the Lahore Fort to the west. He founded the mosque that now bears his name on the site of the tomb of Syed Muhammed Ishaq (also known as Miran Badshah), a saint who had migrated from Iran in the 13th century. Wazir Khan also established a bathhouse (Shahi Hammam) and other commercial establishments along the road to the mosque whose income was intended to ensure maintenance of the mosque into perpetuity. Although the bathhouse did not provide as much income as intended, the bazaar to the east of the mosque was quite successful and remains a flourishing market even to the present day.
The mosque's distinguishing architectural feature is the use of minarets at each of its four corners--the first time such a design was employed in Lahore. The prayer hall follows the one-aisle five-bay motif that was first established in Lahore a generation earlier at the Maryam Zamani Mosque, which was later to find its full expression in the Badshahi Mosque built by Emperor Aurangzeb a half century later. Much of the mosque is constructed of cut and dressed brick decorated with glazed tile mosaics.
A curious feature of the mosque is the incorporation of 22 shops into its ground plan. Situated on either side of the entrance hall, these shops form a bazaar with a brick-paved passage in between. This commercial area extends east beyond the mosque into the Chowk Wazir Khan (Wazir Khan Square) which remains a vibrant commerical district to the present day.
Plan ViewImage drawn by Timothy M Ciccone based on photos and site plan in "Architecture of Pakistan" by Kamil Khan Mumtaz.
The approximate location of the mosque is 31.583192' N, 74.323624' E (WGS 84 map datum).
All images copyright 2011 Aown Ali
Khan, Ahmad Nabi. Islamic Architecture of Pakistan: An Analytical Exposition.
Islamabad: National Hijra Council, 1990.
Koch, Ebba. Mughal Architecture
New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2002.
Michell, George (editor). Architecture of the Islamic World: Its history and Social Meaning
London: Thames and Hudson, 1978.
Muhammad Wali Ulla Khan. Lahore and its Important Monuments
Karachi: Anjuman Press, 1973.
Mumtaz, Kamil Khan. Architecture in Pakistan.
Singapore: Concept Media Pte Ltd, 1985.
Rajput, A. B. Architecture in Pakistan
Karachi: Pakistan Publications, 1963.