Atumashi Kyaung Temple (built 1857, restored 1990s)
The Atumashi Kyaung, or Incomparable Monastery (Maha Atulawaiyan Kyaungdawgyi) , was originally built in 1857 by King Mindon (1853-1879), who had founded his new capital of Upper Burma at Mandalay just a few years earlier in 1855. It was one of the King's last great religious construction project. The original Atumashi was a magnificent wooden structure with considerable exterior stucco and set on a high platform reached by a formal ceremonial staircase. Instead of the traditional "pyatthat" (graduated wooden spires of decreasing size) and multi-roof design of traditional monastic buildings, the Atumashi was a huge grandiose structure surrounded by five graduated rectangular terraces. It was considered one of Southeast Asia's most magnificent buildings.
It originally contained a very large, almost 30 ft (9 m), image of the Buddha made from the king's lacquered silk clothing. There were numerous treasures within the structure, including a large diamond set in the forehead of the Buddha, four complete sets of the Tripikata (the 'three baskets' of the Buddhist sacred texts), and much more. When the British annexed the city and Upper Burma in 1885, the large diamond vanished, perhaps taken by the British or other marauders. The building and its entire contents burned down in 1890.
For many years the ruins of the building lay open to the elements. Stumps of the charred teak pillars, a grand staircase and some colonnaded walls remained. The area was cleared in the 1990s and was rebuilt according to the original plans in 1996 by the Burmese archaeological department with the use of convict labor. While somewhat impressive, it does not come close to recreating the magnificence of the original building. The Atumashi Kyaung is near the Kuthodaw Pagoda, built at the same time, and next door to the Shwenandaw.
Text by Robert D. Fiala, Concordia University, Nebraska.
The approximate location of the site is 22.000968' N, 96.112536' E (WGS 84 map datum).
All images copyright 2002 by Professor Robert D. Fiala of Concordia University, Nebraska, USA
Courtauld, Carline. Burma (Myanmar).
Hong Kong: Odyssey Publications, 1999.
Falconer, John et al. Burmese Design and Architecture.
Singapore: Tuttle Publishing, 2000.
Fraser-Lu, Sylvia. Splendour in Wood.
New York: Weatherhill, 2001.
Pichard, Pierre. Inventory of Monuments at Pagan, vol. 6, Monuments [numbered] 1440-1736.
Paris: Kiscadale EFEO UNESCO, 1994.
Stadtner, Donald. Sacred Sites of Burma.
Bangkok: River Books, 2008.
Strachan, Paul. Imperial Pagan.
Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1990.
Strachan, Paul. Pagan: Art & Architecture of Old Burma, 2nd. ed.
Scotland: Kiscadale Publications, 1996.
Tettoni, Invernizzi. Myanmar style : Art, Architecture and Design of Burma.
London: Thames & Hudson, 1998.