Hwaeomsa Temple - 화엄사 (華嚴寺) (reputedly founded 544, most buildings 17th century onward)
Hwaeomsa temple is the head temple of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism. It was reputedly founded in the year 544 by Yeongi Josa during the Silla dynasty. Although it contains a number of intact relics from the Silla era, including several stupas and stone lanterns, most of the temple buildings were destroyed during the war with Japan from 1592-98. The wooden buildings seen today were mostly built in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Address: 전남 구례군 마산면 황전리 12외.
Plan viewImage adapted and partially redrawn following Hangukui Geonchuk Munhwajae 9: Jeonnampyeon
The approximate location of the site is 35.256967' N, 127.497727' E (WGS 84 map datum).
All images copyright 2006 Timothy M. Ciccone
Cheon, Deuk-Youm & Jeon, Bong-Hee. Hangukui Geonchuk Munhwajae 9 (Architectural Heritage of Korea, volume 9).
Kimoondang Publishers, 2001. Seoul
Korean Office of Cultural Properties