Jeonju Hyanggyo - 전주향교 (全州鄕校) (15th century or earlier, rebuilt 1603 onward)
Jeonju Hyanggyo was originally constructed in the early 15th century near Gyeonggijeon (which still survives), but was moved in 1441 to the foot of Mount Hwasan west of Jeonju. After being destroyed during Hideyoshi's campaign of 1592-98, the hyanggyo was rebuilt at its present site in 1603. Like most hyanggyo built on a flat site, the front courtyard is surrounded by ritual buildings, while the rear courtyard is flanked by dormitories and a lecture hall.
Address: 전북 전주시 완산구 교동 26-3번지.
(Designated City Tangible Cultural Property #7).
The approximate location of the site is 35.812510' N, 127.157193' E (WGS 84 map datum).
All images copyright 2005 Timothy M. Ciccone. Photographed in January, 2005.
Korean Office of Cultural Properties
Hong, Seung-Jae. Hangukui Geonchuk Munhwajae v. 8 Jeonbukpyeon (Traditional Korean Architecture v. 8 Jeonbuk Province)
Kimoodang Publishers, 2005. Seoul