Khanqah Mosque of Shah Hamdan (built 1395, rebuilt 1732)
The Khanqah mosque, known as the Shah Hamdan Masjid, sits on the right bank of the river Jhelum between the third and fourth bridges. It was built in 1395 by Shah Sikandar to commemorate the visit of Mir Sayyid Ali Hamdani, better known as Shah Hamdan. Fire claimed the mosque several times in the following centuries and the current structure, as seen today (except for the more recent cloisters), was sponsored by Abul Barkat Khan in 1732. It now stands 38 meters tall.
The mosque is most notable for the beautiful and intricate wood carvings done by skilled Kashmiri wood carvers using time-honored techniques.
The approximate location of the mosque is 34.091248' N, 74.807771' E (WGS 84 map datum).
All images copyright 2003 Rodrigo Wolff Apolloni
Tadgell, Christopher The History of Architecture in India
Phaidon Press, Limited, 1990. Singapore