Kandariya Temple (built c. 1025-1050)
Kandariya Mahadeva temple sits just to the west of Lakshmana temple. Built in 1025-1050 AD, it is 30 meters tall and the largest in the Khajuraho complex. It is dedicated to Shiva and its name consists of the word "cave" (Kandariya) and Mahadeva, another name by which Shiva is known. The temple is considered to be the most impressive and refined in the Khajuraho complex, with over 900 sculptures carved into sandstone stacked without mortar. The vibrantly carved exterior contrasts with a very plain interior space that houses a Shiva lingam in the womb, or 'griha', of the temple located beneath the main 'shikhara' (spire).
The approximate location of the temple is 24.853017' N, 79.919632' E (WGS 84 map datum).
All images copyright 2001 Professor Robert D. Fiala of Concordia University, Nebraska; and Kaye Yeo Ahn
Christine Niven, et al. India: A Lonely Planet Travel Survival Kit.
Lonely Planet Pulications, 1999.
Moore, Charles et all. The Poetics of Gardens
MIT Press, 1997. London
Narain, L.A. Khajuraho: Temples of Ecstasy
Lustre Press, 1986. New Delhi
Krishna Deva. Khajuraho
Director General, Archaeological Survey of India, 1977. New Delhi
Tadgell, Christopher The History of Architecture in India.
Phaidon Press, 1990. Singapore