Chaturbhuja Temple (built c. 1100)
Chaturbhuja temple was built in the declining years of the Chandella dynasty. It is crudely built and lacks the ornamentation and sexual imagery of the other Khajuraho temples. It was constructed by Emperor Lakshavarman primarily to enshrine an image of the four-armed 'Chaturbhuja' Vishnu brought from Tibet. In addition, the temple also enshrines another incarnation of Vishnu known as the 'Narasingha avatar' (an incarnation of Vishnu that is part-man, part-lion). There are also images of the god Shiva, including Shiva's incarnation as the 'Ardhanarishvara', an androgeonous deity, as well as his incarnation as the four-armed god of destruction
The approximate location of the temple is 24.825064' N, 79.931000' E (WGS 84 map datum).
All images copyright 2001 Professor Robert D. Fiala of Concordia University, Nebraska; and Kaye Yeo Ahn
Christine Niven, et al. India: A Lonely Planet Travel Survival Kit.
Lonely Planet Pulications, 1999.
Moore, Charles et all. The Poetics of Gardens
MIT Press, 1997. London
Narain, L.A. Khajuraho: Temples of Ecstasy
Lustre Press, 1986. New Delhi
Krishna Deva. Khajuraho
Director General, Archaeological Survey of India, 1977. New Delhi
Tadgell, Christopher The History of Architecture in India.
Phaidon Press, 1990. Singapore