Puningsi Temple (Temple of Universal Peace) (built 1755)
Puningsi temple is one of the Waibamiao (Eight Outer Temples) of Chengde. It was built in 1755 by Emperor Qianlong to commemorate his victory over the Dzungar people and to memorialize his hope that a period of universal peace would prevail. The temple is supposedly built in imitation of the Sangye monastery in Tibet, though the architectural features are mostly Chinese with some Tibetan elements. The main hall of the temple, the Dachengge, contains a standing Buddha image of Guanyin which, at over 24 meters tall, is the largest of its kind in China.
According to GPS readings taken on site, the front gate of the temple is located at 41 00.81294' N, 117 56.76912' E (WGS84 map datum).
Plan viewImage largely redrawn and adapted from Ancient Architecture of Chengde by Tianjin University.
All images copyright 2008 Timothy M. Ciccone. Photographed early May, 2008.
Berger, Patricia Ann. Empire of Emptiness: Buddhist Art and Political Authority in Qing China
University of Hawaii Press, 2003. United Kingdom
Foret, Philippe. Mapping Chengde: The Qing Landscape Enterprise
University of Hawaii Press, 2000. Honolulu
Tadgell, Christopher. China: A Conservative Tradition
Ellipsis London Limited, 1998. Hong Kong
Tianjin University. Ancient Architecture of Chengde
China Building Industry Press, 1982. Hong Kong
Signposts located on site